The law firm of Wilson& Hajek in Charlottesville offer tips of how bicycle riders can best avoid a collision and accident with personal injuries.
For daytime and nighttime bicycle riders:
- Get a headlight, particularly for night riding;
- Keep headlight on in daytime and the new LED and oscillating lights will alert auto drivers and get their attention;
- Helmet or head-mounted lights also alert auto drivers;
- Make eye contact with auto driver and stop if eye contact is not made with driver;
- Get a loud horn and use it;
- Be aware that car doors may open unexpectedly as you go by a parked car;
- Do not ride against traffic. The impact velocity at impact will be increased and the accident will cause a more serious injury. One study showed riding the wrong way was three times as dangerous as riding with traffic. Riding the wrong way is illegal;
- Do not ride to the right and inside of cars stopped at an intersection as the auto may turn right causing an accident. There is also the possibility that a passenger may be opening a door;
- Do not ride on the sidewalk. When you come off the sidewalk you are invisible to motorists;
- Never move left without looking behind you first. This means you should use a mirror and still look over your shoulder. This will help you avoid a rear end collision accident with a car;
- Wear a reflective vest or a safety triangle. Better visibility of the rider helps avoid an accident and injury;
- Use back streets on weekends.
(Information drawn in part from BicycleSafe.com)
By following these accident avoidance tips, you can enjoy a safer ride free of accident and injury or death. If you do have an unfortunate accident that is not your fault, the personal injury lawyers at Wilson & Hajek offer free consultations to discuss your personal injury.